May 6, 2020
In today’s installation, we are focusing on breathing exercises for our mental health. According to the Michigan University of Medicine:
Deep breathing is one of the best ways to lower stress in the body. This is because when you breathe deeply, it sends a message to your brain to calm down and relax. The brain then sends this message to your body. Those things that happen when you are stressed, such as increased heart rate, fast breathing, and high blood pressure, all decrease as you breathe deeply to relax.Stress Management: Breathing Exercises for Relaxation
As we continue to move through the COVID-19 experience, each of us is responding to the added stresses on our lives. Taking time to focus on healthy breathing exercises have a ton of benefits, including:
• It helps you relax, lowering the harmful effects of the stress hormone cortisol on your body.
• It lowers your heart rate.
• It helps lower your blood pressure.
• It helps you cope with the symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
• It improves your core muscle stability.
• It improves your body’s ability to tolerate intense exercise.
• It lowers your chances of injuring or wearing out your muscles.
• It slows your rate of breathing so that it expends less energy.What Is Diaphragmatic Breathing? – healthline
So how to we practice deep breathing exercises? Here are a few options to consider!
Consider printing the breathing techniques and posting them in common places you spend time – the living room, on the refrigerator, in the bathroom, or on your nightstand. That way you can quickly reference a simple technique to spend a few minutes focusing on breathing exercises.
VITALIA® Stow in Stow, OH offers senior villas, independent apartments, assisted living, and memory care with a variety of services and a range of floor plan options. Amenities include 1804 Restaurant, a 24-hour bistro, concierge service, housekeeping, events and entertainment, personal care, transportation services, and more. Conveniently located just off of Hwy 8 at E Steels Corners Road just blocks from a wide range of shopping, dining, attractions, and health services.
July 29, 2022
July 26th is National Disability Independence Day, which commemorates the signing of The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), which happened on July 26, 1990. The ADA prohibits discrimination against people with disabilities in several areas, including employment, transportation, public accommodations, communications, and access to state and local government programs and services. ADA compliance means the […]